Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad
Prep time: 3 to 5 minutes / Cook time: 8 to 12 minutes
Yields 4 servings
- 12 ounces sliced turkey bacon (optional)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 (6-inch) whole-grain pitas, each cut into 4 wedges
- ⅛ teaspoon crystallized lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Italian seasoning
- 2 ¼ cups Brussels sprouts, shaved
- 8 ounces arugula
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- 2 ½ cups apple (about 2 medium apples), cored and diced – use Golden Delicious when available
- ¾ cup carrots, peeled and julienned
- ½ cup fruit vinaigrette, such as blueberry pomegranate
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Heat oven to 350° F. On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, arrange turkey bacon; do not overcrowd. Cook for 8 to 12 minutes, or until crisp, and set aside to cool. When cool, coarsely chop.
Lightly coat pita wedges with olive oil spray. Sprinkle evenly with lemon crystals and seasoning, about a pinch per pita. Place pita onto an ungreased sheet pan. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until crisp. Allow to cool at room temperature before serving.
In a large bowl, combine shaved Brussels sprouts, arugula, dried cherries, apples, carrots, turkey bacon (if using) and vinaigrette. Toss until evenly coated.
Divide among 4 bowls. Sprinkle each with chopped walnuts and serve with pita wedges.
This recipe is from Sharp Health News.