This twist on the popular seven-layer dip uses several healthful substitutions to lower the fat and calories without sacrificing the flavor.
This quick and healthy snack has only 50 calories per 1/2 cup.
Yields 4 cups
- 8 ounces hummus (store-bought or make your own)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 artichoke hearts (canned or jarred), chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Kalamata olives, chopped (optional, to garnish)
In a medium-sized serving dish, spread the hummus evenly on the bottom. Layer the tomatoes and cucumber on top. Dollop yogurt over the vegetables, then gently spread with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the yogurt with paprika. Next, layer artichoke hearts,
roasted red peppers and feta cheese. Sprinkle parsley on top and garnish with chopped olives (optional).
Serve with sliced fresh vegetables or whole-wheat pita chips.
Recipe adapted from cookincanuck.com.