Out-of-town coverage for children

In situations where your child is expected to be out of the service area, we want to be sure you know the options for accessing health care services.

If your child is traveling for less than 90 consecutive days in the coming year, or is enrolling in college as full-time student, they may continue on your health insurance policy. Dependents can stay on your policy until they turn 26 if they meet certain requirements. They must:

  1. Maintain their primary residence or work in our service area, or
  2. Be a full-time student at an accredited institution, or
  3. Have coverage provided under a medical support order.
See what services are covered

Basic care

Benefits outside of urgent care and emergency services are available only in Sharp Health Plan's service area and when approved by your Primary Care Physician (PCP).


MinuteClinic is the walk-in medical clinic located inside select CVS Pharmacy® stores. MinuteClinic provides convenient access to basic care without an appointment.3


Prescription benefits

Prescription drugs are covered the same as when home and easily accessed through a number of national chains.

After-hours hotline

Nurses are ready to help parents with health-related questions. Call 1-800-359-2002, 5 pm – 8 am, Monday to Friday, or 24 hours on weekends.

Emergency travel services

If you're traveling 100 miles or more away from home or in another country for less than 90 consecutive days, you can receive assistance during a medical emergency.


Supplemental insurance

For college-bound dependents who will be going to school outside the service area, we encourage parents to investigate what the college offers in terms of free or low-cost health services. Parents may want to consider purchasing supplemental health insurance to provide additional coverage for non-emergency or urgent services while dependents are away from home.